The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions. Or if you must, use the Back Room[^] - but enter at your own risk.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen. For those discussions where you wish to be a little more frank, use the Soapbox[^]
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
Either Microsoft have accelerated the roll-out, or my computer passed some secret test; either way, the "Fall Creators Update" appeared on my updates last night, rather than hiding for the usual 4-6 months after release.
The update process has definitely changed. It spent just over an hour downloading and preparing, during which time the computer was usable, albeit slightly sluggish. After clicking the button to restart, it took almost exactly 30 minutes to update, and then another two minutes for the annoying "Hi, we've got some updates, blah, blah..." nonsense. Previous updates did less work up-front, and spent longer rebooting, so that's an improvement.
There only seem to have been two casualties on the "not compatible" front: EMET, which is now baked into Windows Defender; and the Cisco VPN client.
The "Sync your settings" option now seems to be borked - "Sync is not available for your account. Contact your system administrator to resolve this." Who's the system administrator for a Microsoft account on a non-domain-joined PC again?
Oh, and the new "emoji input panel" (Win + .) only works if your computer is set to US-English with a US keyboard layout.
Other than that, everything seems to be working.
"These people looked deep within my soul and assigned me a number based on the order in which I joined." - Homer
So you try to be a nice developer, try to be as transparent on your tasks as possible and hand guest access to your YouTrack... They can only view and check back what's happening.
Then there is this one guy, Project Manager of course, that is totally misunderstanding the purpose of your kindnes.
So now he want's access to the System, wants to be able to write Tickets, edit them and check who else writes tickets... Why??? you think and deny the request...
The next day you get a mail: Request from XXX :"Why can't i see this?"
You ask kindly what he wants to state with that.
You can guess the reply...
"That's why i need that system, if i send a request i want to be able to edit it and check it back"
(A) You are blind as a mole. Get some glasses.
(B) You are the customer's project manager, not mine.
(C) Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.
(D) Are you authorized for at least Universal Top Secret? Otherwise we would have to shoot you.
(E) Why should you?
(F) Because we enjoy seeing you squiggle like a fish on the hook.
I have lived with several Zen masters - all of them were cats.
So I've started a new job, where part of it is being in charge of Health and SafetyI have to watch various DVDs and select the most informative to be used as part of our training schedule. The manual handling[^] one is presented by Diane Youdale - best known as Jet from Gladiators[^].
F*** knows if the information is any good as Ive spent the whole time imagining what I'd like her to manually handle. oh and I don't even need to watch the rest, but I might watch this one again just to make sure.
£90?!! I think Jet's a psychologist now (psychiatrist? I never remember the difference, I know one has a medical degree, the other used to hit people with giant cotton buds while wearing spandex).
For last job I did that needed a manual handling assessment I don't know if HR had a sense of humour or if I just have a dirty mind but the Word document we had to complete and return was man_hand_ass.doc.