The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
I have a DigitalOcean droplet running Debian. When you log in you launch a window in your browser which brings up a terminal console so you can do your work. Very oddly, from home there were huge lags doing any commands in Chrome. I always use Chrome for everything. I'd type the command and then wait about 7 seconds before the cursor would even blink. I decided to try Edge. All the commands ran as if I were locally running the terminal window. Switching back to Chrome and trying it again to test it showed that it was still extremely slow. That's the only app I've ever seen where Chrome failed and Edge fixed it.
Even if it works, it takes forever to show the context menu, and sometimes you click copy and it does nothing. You end up copying the same fking thing 2-3 times until you give up and switch back to chrome or w/e you use.
Me, I miss Opera, back in the days when it was fast, innovative, and a damned useful tool.
Nowadays, they're all flash and poor substance, and the third-party plug-ins that people make to replace the most useful functions (Sessions! Life was so easy with sessions!) rarely work after even minor updates.
I wanna be a eunuchs developer! Pass me a bread knife!
Read the red bit at the top of the page, then post this here: Ask a question[^] But give better information! The quality and speed of a response depoends to a large extent on the quality of you question - and we cannot see your screen, access your hard disk, or read your mind. All we get to work with is exactly what you type...
Bad command or file name. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaaay...
Ah, I see you have the machine that goes ping. This is my favorite. You see we lease it back from the company we sold it to and that way it comes under the monthly current budget and not the capital account.
I have been trying to revive my little raphics engine and UI project ever since Mickeysoft thought that it would be a great idea to kill off XNA. They wanted to herd us over to Win8 Metro (cr)apps, but I did not feel like rewriting all that code, nor ever putting anything into their (Cr)AppStore.
My only chance to revive the whole thing is to replace XNA by MonoGame, which started out as a reincarnation of XNA. Replacing the references was the easy part. The .Net code compiles and works. There are a few warnings for using methods which have become obsolete, but still are included for compatibility.
The real issue was with compiling and including the graphics resources, including the shaders. Think of them as declarations of data structures and functions which run on the graphics processor. The shaders were written for HLSL 2.0, the MonoGame compiler expected at least ver. 4.0.
For starters I converted only my test program for the graphics engine. It worked, but the particle effects were not rendered at all. The shader for the particles was a little more complex. It does not only do the transformations and texture mapping. It also calculates the animation of the particles on the GPU. The shader compiled without errors or warnings, the test program runs fine and displays everything with exception of the particles.
To make things short: The input structure of the shader had to be declared differently in version 4.0. The input values did not get mapped to the right variables and remained 0. The shader rendered lots of totally transparent pixels at coordinates (0, 0).
Time for some bragging.
This is my test program. The whole scene is scripted with XAML, including the camera which moves through a series of waypoints. I also made the models and the textures, so be easy on me. I'm not an artist.