The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions. Or if you must, use the Back Room[^] - but enter at your own risk.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen. For those discussions where you wish to be a little more frank, use the Soapbox[^]
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
His profile says Swiss - but the name implies Chinese to me? In which case he's behind The Great Fire Wall of China, and can't access Google at all (he has to use Baidu instead IIRC).
Chinese internet does not show the same "history" as the rest of the world - particularly related to civil rights abuses, Tibet, Tiananmen Square, etc., and can result in you getting a night-time visit from interested government officials if you get too inquisitive. Allegedly.
Bad command or file name. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaaay...
I think it was about five minutes after I found out where to turn that unattended TRS-80 on in 1978 when I learned what PRINT is for and very shortly after that also IF and ELSE. (must have been something like IF X < 20 GOTO 30 ELSE END). Even if there had been Q&A, I'm very sure I would never have asked that kind of question.
I would suggest we make the book obligatory reading before someone is allowed to post questions. How do we verify that online?
"I don't know, extraterrestrial?" "You mean like from space?" "No, from Canada."
If software development were a circus, we would all be the clowns.