The Ultrabook™'s accelerometers and gyroscope are not only useful for determining orientation, but can serve as a sensitive vibration sensor.
My washer and dryer are pretty old-school by today's standards. But even the newest machines have one thing in common with mine ‒ they vibrate. In fact each cycle has its own vibration signature.
My machines may be dated, but with the help of an Ultrabook™ and this app, they boast some cutting-edge features.
How it is Used
After loading up the washer with clothes and detergent, place the Ultrabook™ on the machine and touch the screen to tell the app that you're starting a washer cycle; then start the machine.
As the washer progresses, it learns your washer's cycle. When the washer has stopped, the app will contact you to let you know that it's time to transfer the load to the dryer. The same routine will be done for they dry cycle.
- touch-centric full-screen desktop app with Metro-like UI
- alerts you in one or more ways
- audible noise
- telephone call
Why would anyone want this?
- because expensive toys are fun?
- to impress the ladies ("oh that? I'm just doing some laundry")
- to impress the guys ("oh that? My laundry just texted me.")
it is cheaper than hiring someone to watch your laundry actually, labour is pretty cheap and unemployment is high. Help out your neighbourhood cleaners and send them some laundry.
- teenagers will love doing laundry.
- easier than automating a washboard
- well, I went to all this effort. It would be rude not to.
- because you can.
- because the cat is sick of doing your dirty work:
How it Works
- Input from accelerometers, gyroscopes, and microphones and collection, normalized, and analyzed continuously to determine the beginning and end of the cycles. This data can be displayed in a live graph.
- Settings are serialized to XML in local storage.
- E-mail, phone, and SMS notifications are sent using a web service. The web service uses the Twilio API to send SMS messages and place phone calls.
2012-10-19 ‒ Initial proposal.
2012-12-11 ‒ Updated with details about completed app.