Part of what Chris and team does is check the validity of the awards. This takes time. A few years ago, there were complaints about some of the MVP awards, so Chris (as is his wont) bends over backwards to make sure that things are kosher, and that the community is happy.
*pre-emptive celebratory nipple tassle jiggle* - Sean Ewington
Well, the message by Chris answers the question in some way, but in fact the rep points are different from what they should be. For example the author rep points are lower than the number of downloads in some cases, wich is hardly possible, because you also get points for publishing articles/bookmarks/upvoting and you don´t lose so many points due to downvoting. So if the raw data is correct, as Chris says, there´s still a bug in the system!
Hey Chris, I know that there was a lot of discussion about rep points and stuff already, and I really don´t want to complain but your message sounds like everything is okay with the rep points now, so I´ve got a little question: When you look at my articles you can see that one of them has been downloaded over 11,000 times .. together with the points for bookmarks and other stuff and to points from the other article, this should add up to at least more than 15,000 points or so .. But when I look my profile I can only see 8,000 points. I know that you can loose points due to downvoting and so on, but I don´t think that I lost so many So my question is, if both the raw data and the points are accurate, how can you explain this huge gap between the two values? Any ideas?
I've tracked my statistics for some time and it looks like values just dropped. I always saw a respective entry in details for any stats change, so the answer is that events in details are wrong too? Or there're so much bugz?
As promised a while ago I've spent a bit of time working through the labyrinth that is our rep points system. We have an on-going issue whereby our rep point summary by rep type is out of sync with the raw data, meaning I need to resync these occasionally which results in a change in your reported rep points.
As I mentioned before, the raw data is accurate, but the rep point total you saw at the right of your name at the top of each was not accurate. It was, in some cases, high. The resyncs set your rep points to what they should be, and no points have been "lost". It's a correction, not a losing of points.
I know that this still sucks and a technical explanation of a bug doesn't really help. What I do hope will help, though, is a reworking of the way we sync points in an effort to ensure we stay synced all the time, while also ensuring a minimal load on the system.
I'll be keeping my eye on things, but for now we're back in sync and I can get cracking on those MVP certificates.