1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions. Or if you must, use the Back Room[^] - but enter at your own risk.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen. For those discussions where you wish to be a little more frank, use the Soapbox[^]
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
My father passed away yesterday morning, around 6am. He battled the ugly devil that is cancer for a little over a year. He held on for quite a long time considering the only treatment he was eligible for was one 6-week round of radiation. Aside from that, there was no treatment. Just a year ago he was up and walking around and laughing with us all, and over the past couple of months he was mostly bed ridden, and now he's left this life.
I just wanted to say something here, even though I'm not as active as I'd like to be here. I'm not much of a familiar face, but I've been around CP for a long time. I hope you all have a wonderful day, and cherish your life and the lives of those you care about, every day.
djj55: Nice but may have a permission problem
Pete O'Hanlon: He has my permission to run it.
Like the internet I believe we should have CP rulez! No exceptions.
So lets see how this holds up.
¬. Leslie Nielsen already enforces the rules
0. Leslie Nielsen already said it
1. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored. 1A. Anything you say, no matter how truthful or carefully picked, WILL be deemed wrong if the majority is against you.
1.2.2 Anything you say can and will be used against you.
1.2.1 Anything you say can be turned into something else. - fixed
383. HoneybCBadger does not, and will not give a sh*t. No exceptions.
403. Google it first or RTFM.
OG. OriginalGriff already thought of that.
OG.@ OriginalGriff would have thought of that but Leslie beat him to it.
(Feel free to add moar rules in the comments and I might be obliged to setup a board to keep track of the rules )
...when the cat woke us up at 04:00 by hurtling round the bedroom with / in pursuit of something squeaky.
Once we get lights on and so forth, and separate teh two, it turns out to be a bat (Pipistrelle[^] in fact - haven't seen any locally for a couple of years).
OK - catch the bat, get it outside and I can go back to bed.
Not that easy - they fly well those things, and never in a direction you want them to - and I don't want to harm it.
Takes about half an hour (and ignoring it completely so it settles) but I finally get it into a pint glass, take outside, and it flies off into the night.
By which stage I am well awake, and can't get back to sleep.
So I'm sleep deprived, grumpy and clearly going to have a bad day.
Until I get a call from a friend: his mother passed away overnight...
Sometimes, the little things that get in your way and make your day nasty pale into insignificance, and you realize that they are trivial and you should look to the positive things in your life instead. Maybe I'll be nice to idiots in QA today instead of being rude after all.
You looking for sympathy?
You'll find it in the dictionary, between sympathomimetic and sympatric
(Page 1788, if it helps)
OK, not good with your friends mother, I agree. But apart from that, rescuing a bat (even at 4 AM) would make me feel pretty good throughout the day...
Anything that is unrelated to elephants is irrelephant Anonymous ----- The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine Winston Churchill, 1944 ----- I'd just like a chance to prove that money can't make me happy. Me, all the time