12,406,592 members (51,199 online)

Comments by JJMatthews (Top 28 by date)

JJMatthews 3-Jun-15 10:27am View

I am far from a database expert but I had the same problem to solve last year (if I understand correctly). I ended up using a "left outer join" to get the correct results.
JJMatthews 12-Feb-15 6:52am View

I prefer ADO
JJMatthews 11-Feb-15 8:09am View

Just a guess here, but I had allot of problems when modifying the keyboard driver on Windows XP because of that Windows file protection stuff. Try renaming it, that would rule that out I believe.
JJMatthews 8-Dec-14 2:36am View

whoops ... missed that
JJMatthews 7-Dec-14 4:02am View

That's great man. I'm real happy you got through that. Good luck on the rest of your project.
JJMatthews 2-Dec-14 2:22am View

Hello, that is a new error for me. I looked through your code and it does look fine, I would say that the error is definitely from Access (as you thought).

I did on search on your specific error and saw allot of different information, but this page is what I believe may be happening:
I have had issues with MS Office "security" before. I have also had allot of issues with Norton products.

I came across this article as well and I believe it's worth investigating if the previous solution does not help:

Here is a really good resource, I found it invaluable when learning ADO coding:

What you are trying to do will work and has been done many times before, I will help you in any way that I can. The good thing is that you always learn allot from issues like this.

In your initial post you said that you are running Access 2007 and were planning to use an "Attachment" field type. The biggest difference between what I have done and what you are working on I believe is the Access version and the field type. I am using Access 2003 with "OLE Object" field type for my blobs. I was using Access to design and test my database schema. I am now running Oracle but all I had to do was change the connection string and everything was fine.

If you are still having the problem let me know and I will install Access 2007 and create a test database.

Good luck man
Jeremy
JJMatthews 20-Nov-14 3:24am View

No problem man, glad if I could help. Good luck on your project.
JJMatthews 14-Nov-14 10:39am View

Oh yeah, thanks man ... missed that one. I know what to do, I need to convert the mask color into the right format first.
JJMatthews 22-Oct-14 2:26am View

The menu is not a part of the client rect either.
JJMatthews 30-Jul-14 15:12pm View

In my 15 years writing C++ code professionally I thankfully have never had the pleasure of working with this level of nitpicking. I hold myself to much higher coding standards than has ever been required by any of my employers. Please don't discourage this young man into thinking this will be the way it is for him in his career because it is not.

let me make this simple for you:

warning != error;
warning != "problem";
warning == warning;
JJMatthews 29-Jul-14 11:31am View

... just giving the learning individual 2 other possible solutions (which I use every day). I'm not saying it's the best solution but why not be aware of the available options. There is absolutely nothing wrong with type casting, throwing words around like "ignorance" is ridiculous. If a person had a requirement to hold 2 billion items in an array (which hardly ever happens) than they would code accordingly.
JJMatthews 11-Jul-14 9:25am View

oh .. thats easy. Since VS2010 (maybe 2008, cant remember) png is handled by Visual Studio, the same way as a bitmap or icon ..etc. First switch to your "Resource View". Right-Click on the name of your project and select "Add -> Resource..." and a dialog will pop up. Click the "Import.." button and then just select you file.

Now the question of how you will load and compare the images ... I recommend GDI+, I use it allot and it is very nice.

Good luck man
JJMatthews 11-Jul-14 7:40am View

sounds interesting ... one last question: do you need to put the images into the resource table in at design time or run time?
JJMatthews 11-Jul-14 3:47am View

what type of image are you trying to use (png, jpg, bmp)? why do you want this image in your project, what do you want to do with it after you add it to your resources ... display it on a dialog? what version of visual studio do you have?
JJMatthews 23-May-14 3:45am View

I talk to Oracle with ADO, heres an example of my connection string, hope it helps:

m_cstrDBCon = _T("Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;");
m_cstrDBCon += _T("dbq=127.0.0.1:1521/XE;Database=DBNAME;");
m_cstrDBCon += _T("User Id=Admin;Password=****;");
JJMatthews 20-Nov-13 6:17am View

I wouldnt call it "baby sitting", objects are released/destroyed in class destructors. As a minimalist, if my handle and GDI object count does not increase in the task manager then that is good enough for me.

The purpose of the post was to demonstrate a method for drawing the inner portion (text) of an edit control. If someone wishes to use this method I would recommend that they format the code to fit the rest of their code (programming style).
JJMatthews 19-Nov-13 3:02am View

I can post a function I wrote a while ago that enumerates all usb hubs on a system if you would like? You will just have to change it a little to look for your card readers.
JJMatthews 14-Nov-13 9:16am View

I know man, I searched for at least a day for an answer myself. Eventually just had to do it the hard way.
JJMatthews 14-Nov-13 9:10am View

There it goes, if you need any help using it let me know.
JJMatthews 14-Nov-13 5:45am View

I can post my list control class if you would like. hahaha I was hoping there was a way to do this that I didn't find but nobody has posted .. (I did spend at least a day on it)

JJMatthews 14-Nov-13 2:25am View

Ive always thought that the MFC GDI classes did that for you. I always watch my programs with the task manager to see if the Memory, Handles, and GDI objects increase. The classes seem to clean up all the handles. I will look into it more.
JJMatthews 13-Nov-13 7:24am View

Hello, I just had the exact same issue a couple months ago and your not going to like my solution. I tried everything and nothing worked, eventually I manually drew the whole thing. It wasnt really as much work as it sounded and it ended up being worth it in the end.
JJMatthews 28-Oct-13 6:37am View

Read up on CPtrArray and CPtrList in MSDN. I avoid CArray (and all templates) if I can. Also, make the array a member variable, you will not need CStaticEx member variables (m_pStatiEx1). Don't forget to clean up your memory in an OnDestroy() handler.
JJMatthews 28-Oct-13 6:13am View

Ahhh, OK. Then all you have to do is switch out your array class. Check out CPtrArray, CPtrList, CObjArray, or CObjList.
JJMatthews 28-Oct-13 6:05am View

where is Create() being called?
JJMatthews 28-Oct-13 6:04am View

Then I believe this should help. Like I said, I dont have the source code to the CStaticEx class but you shouldnt have to change much to get it running. Oh yeah, you will need a solution for your control IDs. One way to do it would be to declare a variable in your class header:

static UINT m_nNextID;

then in your cpp file at the top somewhere:

UINT CDialogOrWndClass::m_nNextID = 2050;

make sure this number is greater than the last control value in your resource.h file.

Then call Create() like this:
pStaticCtrl->Create(_T(""), WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE, rect, this, m_nNextID++);

good luck
JJMatthews 12-Sep-12 8:26am View

It was a thread class I wrote for monitoring. I was trying to give you an example of how to use the ReadDirectoryChangesW API (if thats the way you want to do it).
JJMatthews 4-Sep-12 10:12am View

Thats good, it sounds like your getting it. That what it takes for things like this, trying different things until everything is working. I seem to learn the most from projects like yours. If you have any other questions in the future I will try my best to help. Good luck.

Advertise | Privacy | Mobile