12,454,965 members (56,812 online)

Comments by PJ Arends (Top 37 by date)

PJ Arends 14-May-16 15:18pm View

Do not use void* if you can at all avoid it. You loose all type safety if you use it.

The cast you are trying to do is better done with reinterpret_cast.
PJ Arends 14-May-16 12:25pm View

Ok, I can understand your point now that you have explained it. I probably would not have reacted the way I did if you would have made your point clearer to begin with.

I just hate to see newcomers to this site get down voted and their questions not answered for silly reasons like "terminology", especially as their first language may not be English.
PJ Arends 14-May-16 11:42am View

Really ?!?

The OP asked a simple question that we all as beginners would have asked and you give him an English lesson on the difference between the words "conversion" and "formatting". You can clearly see from his use of the Format function and the char array that he was on the correct path to solving his problem.

You are obviously a very knowledgeable guy but sometimes you can be pretty dense too.
PJ Arends 26-Mar-16 19:28pm View

Thanks. I do not reply for the points, but just to give the OP a hint in what I believe is the right direction.
PJ Arends 24-Mar-16 18:03pm View

Thanks Matt T Heffron for updating my answer. I posted from my phone and was unable to fix it myself.
PJ Arends 8-Dec-15 16:00pm View

Or he could just ask "gimme codez" questions. Seems to work for lots of people here.
PJ Arends 27-Nov-15 21:43pm View

No. You did not answer the question.
MSDN[^].

You are correct. The documentation says to call DefWindowProc(), not Default(). I stand corrected.
PJ Arends 27-Nov-15 19:52pm View

Seriously? I did not post this question in order to get into a debate with you. All I want is an answer to the question: "Is it possible to tell from a base class function if the said function has been overridden in a derived class? And if so, how?"

Simple. If you know the answer then I will really appreciate it. If you can say with certainty that it is not possible, then I will appreciate that answer also. Just do not try to tell me about OOP and how to do this or that or the next thing.

I am not new to this game. I am just trying to do something I have never done before, because it is unconventional, and was wondering if anyone had actually done it before and could help me.
PJ Arends 27-Nov-15 10:28am View

This is not an answer to my question. I know my real goal, you do not. And I know of a work around. But the work around could be considered a little messy so I was looking for a more elegant, neater way of accomplishing my goal.

If you have an answer, great, I would love to hear it. If all you are going to do is tell me I do not know what I am doing, or I do not know what my goal is, then just do not reply. You do not know what my goal is, you do not know what I am doing.

I just want to know if this is possible, and if so how? That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.
PJ Arends 2-Nov-15 14:22pm View

I had tried that already, but you made me relook at it. My mistake was calling the CView::OnSetFocus() after calling SetFocus on my control.

Sometimes I can be such a dough head.
PJ Arends 2-Nov-15 11:13am View

Looks like I am going to have to rewrite my control to make this work. All my public functions have to be handled via the SendMessage() API, not through the class instance function calls as I do now. Oh well, looks like I have coding to do.
PJ Arends 1-Nov-15 18:56pm View

Thanks. I will look into it tonight when I get back home.
PJ Arends 22-Sep-14 2:58am View

Reason for my vote of 1 \n Total garbage that should be removed from the site.
PJ Arends 27-Apr-14 19:34pm View

IMO using sounds is not an effective way, especially if you are validating in EN_UPDATE as the control maybe in an invalidate state while the user is typing and constant beeping would be really annoying.

A for a visual indicator things I have done include changing the background colour or border colour. Also disabling the OK button until everything is valid is a possibility as long as that does not hold up your users productivity. Sometimes it is better to allow invalid data so the work can be saved in order to get back to it later.
PJ Arends 26-Mar-14 22:28pm View

Use std::vector< myclass>;
PJ Arends 18-Feb-14 10:54am View

Yes, that is where the Updating flag comes in. It is used to prevent just this problem.
PJ Arends 17-Feb-14 13:56pm View

I should also add, that the only the top left cell in the demo grid has this functionality, the rest of the cells are simple text edit controls.
PJ Arends 17-Feb-14 13:34pm View

The validating is done in CInPlaceNumEdit::OnUpdate()

This function handles the EN_UPDATE message. This message is generated by the edit control just before it displays the text. What I did is validate the text in the control, and if it is not valid I restore the last previously valid text. This way it does not matter what is typed into the edit control, it will just appear to the user that all invalid text is rejected.

The tricky part for you now is that the CInPlaceNumEdit class works in concert with the CGridCellNumeric class. When the user finishes editing it ends up calling CGridCellNumeric::SetText() with the user entered text, which in turn calls CGridCellNumeric::Format() to format the final text in a locale specific format.

That should now be as clear as mud. Just look at CInPlaceNumEdit::OnUpdate and CGridCellNumeric::Format()
PJ Arends 13-Jun-13 11:27am View

IE9 totally failed multiple times to get it, but I did manage to get it using Firefox. Thanks for the information about the file size, exactly what I needed.
PJ Arends 2-Jun-13 19:02pm View

These are messages sent by the windows OS to your applications window.
PJ Arends 30-May-13 11:27am View

Not enough information.

What brand of mobile device? Did you check with the manufacturer?

Did you check your network settings as the error message suggested?

Does the device connect normally when not using your code? are other programs successful at using it?

If you did the above then post the relevant code so we can see what you are doing.
PJ Arends 29-May-13 19:44pm View

There are many ways to skin this cat, using events and WaitForMultipleObjects etc. Either way it is always a good idea to use thread synchorization to avoid deadlocks, even if it is DIY.
PJ Arends 26-May-13 17:28pm View

Then look at TextOut, DrawText, ExtTextOut, TabbedTextOut etc.
PJ Arends 26-May-13 1:08am View

You prefer

mov ah, 09h
int 21h
PJ Arends 25-May-13 18:38pm View

printf
puts
putc
fwrite
_write

etc.

depends on what you want to do and what you want to output your data to.
PJ Arends 17-Apr-13 1:38am View

Yes it is lacking. Using "check screensaver running" I was able to find that I just need to use the SystemParametersInfo function and specify the SPI_GETSCREENSAVERRUNNING parameter.

Thanks for the tip.

Now it is time to go to bed and recharge the brain.
PJ Arends 7-Mar-13 17:26pm View

See my article

PJ Arends 26-Feb-13 11:12am View

unicode / non-unicode conflict. use the the neutral _tcsspn version or the unicode wcsspn version. Or better yet, use the function suggested by SoMad.
PJ Arends 25-Oct-12 19:36pm View

The Control Panel has a setting (Power Options - System Settings) where one can choose what the Sleep button does. I can change it to 'Do nothing' and the Sleep button becomes disabled.
It does not require a reboot to do it this way, so it must be either a registry setting or a power management function (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373163(v=vs.85).aspx) that is used. Not sure which one.

I followed your link and was able to disable the Windows key, but I was unable to disable the sleep key via key mapping. The only problem is the windows key functionality is now totally disabled, not quite what I was looking for.
PJ Arends 25-Oct-12 16:59pm View

Thanks for the info, I may end up doing it this way. Although I was hoping to be able to disable these keys only when my app is running. Your solution involves editing the registry and rebooting the machine. Not quite what I had in mind.
PJ Arends 24-Oct-12 18:58pm View

The problem (as stated earlier) is that the Sleep and Win+L keys have their default actions taken before my hook procedure is called. So my hook procedure can not filter them out and catch them, thus blocking their default actions.
PJ Arends 30-Sep-11 16:03pm View

Seen that, tried that, could not get it to work for some reason.
PJ Arends 30-Sep-11 16:02pm View

Thanks a bunch, works perfectly :)
PJ Arends 30-Sep-11 15:46pm View

What is the code for the GetFileList function?
PJ Arends 17-Jun-11 12:17pm View

Tried it, and it works! Thanks

<pre>HRESULT hr = FileDialog2Ptr.CoCreateInstance(CLSID_FileOpenDialog);</pre>
PJ Arends 17-Jun-11 3:07am View

The link you gave talks about IFileDialog, IFileSaveDialog, and IFileOpenDialog. These were new in Vista. The MSDN link I gave above is for IFileDialog2 that is new in Win7. I got the older ones to work just fine, but I want the functionality of IFileDialog2 where I can limit the scope with SetNavigationRoot().
PJ Arends 17-Nov-10 17:28pm View

Thanks, works now. Kind of a weird solution though.

Advertise | Privacy | Mobile