Click here to Skip to main content
14,638,468 members

Welcome to the Lounge

   

For discussing anything related to a software developer's life but is not for programming questions. Got a programming question?

The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
dandy7211-Dec-18 10:29
Memberdandy7211-Dec-18 10:29 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
Marc Clifton10-Dec-18 3:18
mvaMarc Clifton10-Dec-18 3:18 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
den2k8810-Dec-18 3:47
professionalden2k8810-Dec-18 3:47 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
SawmillTurtle10-Dec-18 11:01
MemberSawmillTurtle10-Dec-18 11:01 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
Mark_Wallace10-Dec-18 6:38
MemberMark_Wallace10-Dec-18 6:38 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
jsc429-Dec-18 21:59
professionaljsc429-Dec-18 21:59 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
Richard MacCutchan9-Dec-18 22:42
mveRichard MacCutchan9-Dec-18 22:42 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
den2k889-Dec-18 22:46
professionalden2k889-Dec-18 22:46 
Richard MacCutchan wrote:
You should not use Double types for financial amounts
In my experience they should not be used, period. They are comfortable for the developer but for technological, scientific and financial problems having a definite precision is actually better than a precision that varies depending on the stored value.

Also, fixed point operation are several orders of magnitude faster than FP ones - not a problem in 90% of software out there but it is paramount in the remaining 10%.
GCS d--(d+) s-/++ a C++++ U+++ P- L+@ E-- W++ N+ o+ K- w+++ O? M-- V? PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5? X R+++ tv-- b+(+++) DI+++ D++ G e++ h--- r+++ y+++*      Weapons extension: ma- k++ F+2 X

GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
Richard MacCutchan9-Dec-18 22:59
mveRichard MacCutchan9-Dec-18 22:59 
GeneralRe: What I've Learned So Far Pin
HobbyProggy9-Dec-18 23:54
professionalHobbyProggy9-Dec-18 23:54 
Rantamount of books on devops... Pin
abmv9-Dec-18 8:46
professionalabmv9-Dec-18 8:46 
GeneralRe: amount of books on devops... Pin
RickZeeland9-Dec-18 8:53
mveRickZeeland9-Dec-18 8:53 
GeneralRe: amount of books on devops... Pin
Eddy Vluggen9-Dec-18 8:55
professionalEddy Vluggen9-Dec-18 8:55 
GeneralRe: amount of books on devops... Pin
Slacker0079-Dec-18 12:38
professionalSlacker0079-Dec-18 12:38 
GeneralRe: amount of books on devops... Pin
DRHuff9-Dec-18 15:02
MemberDRHuff9-Dec-18 15:02 
GeneralRe: amount of books on devops... Pin
raddevus9-Dec-18 10:04
mvaraddevus9-Dec-18 10:04 
GeneralRe: amount of books on devops... Pin
Marc Clifton10-Dec-18 3:22
mvaMarc Clifton10-Dec-18 3:22 
GeneralThoughts from Belfast PinPopular
Duncan Edwards Jones9-Dec-18 8:35
professionalDuncan Edwards Jones9-Dec-18 8:35 
QuestionRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
RickZeeland9-Dec-18 8:41
mveRickZeeland9-Dec-18 8:41 
GeneralRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
OriginalGriff9-Dec-18 10:42
mveOriginalGriff9-Dec-18 10:42 
GeneralRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
Duncan Edwards Jones10-Dec-18 0:02
professionalDuncan Edwards Jones10-Dec-18 0:02 
GeneralRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
charlieg9-Dec-18 12:54
Membercharlieg9-Dec-18 12:54 
GeneralRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
DRHuff9-Dec-18 15:03
MemberDRHuff9-Dec-18 15:03 
GeneralRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
Johnny J.9-Dec-18 23:13
professionalJohnny J.9-Dec-18 23:13 
GeneralRe: Thoughts from Belfast Pin
S Houghtelin10-Dec-18 1:50
professionalS Houghtelin10-Dec-18 1:50 

General General    News News    Suggestion Suggestion    Question Question    Bug Bug    Answer Answer    Joke Joke    Praise Praise    Rant Rant    Admin Admin   

Use Ctrl+Left/Right to switch messages, Ctrl+Up/Down to switch threads, Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right to switch pages.