Comments by Jalapeno Bob (Top 8 by date)

Jalapeno Bob 5-Jan-18 15:01pm View

I am familiar with this list and have read all the relevant documents listed. Unfortunately, they rely on custom code-behind for their behavior.

IN my experiments, I could get the appearance (CheckBox and Label), but not the override from higher levels.
Jalapeno Bob 5-Jan-18 11:29am View

I am not looking for code to fill my exact need. I am looking for a working starting point, perhaps an article or tutorial, that I can understand and learn from, and use this knowledge to create a solution for my need. I am hoping that someone has solved this before. I dislike re-inventing the wheel.
Jalapeno Bob 18-Mar-15 13:48pm View

Nothing stands out here....

app.config:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedruntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
<startup/>
<configuration/>

app.manifest:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
<compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
<application>
</application>
</compatibility>
</asmv1:assembly>
Jalapeno Bob 13-Mar-15 17:22pm View

Win7/32 and VS 2005 and 2010. It does not matter which VS I use, the executable trips the elevated privileges in run or debug modes. In debug mode, executing using step into (F11) or step over (F10) fails on the first press. The problem has to be triggered before my application "new" initialization code is reached.

PS: If I log in as an administrator, instead of an ordinary user, the program runs just fine.
Jalapeno Bob 11-Mar-15 16:44pm View

The loader obviously knows because, it asks for the administrative credentials. Another program could be written that looks at the .exe and the related .dlls, makes the same determination and prints out descriptive messages. I am surprised that one has not been written.
Jalapeno Bob 10-Mar-15 11:07am View

Dave,
As to your checklist, no, no and no. This program does not need any of these functions. Other programs I inherited that don't run might, however. I have not gotten there yet. Thank you for the information.

I was hoping that someone has a quick way to identify the cause of the need for elevated privileges. I (and especially my boss) want to get these programs up and running again without me having to go through the code - often now, spaghetti code, after numerous patches and revisions - and understanding it. I will probably find that in many cases, I might as well rewrite it in a more object oriented design: the budget, however, will not support it.

I wish Microsoft or some other software developer had written some tool to at least identify why Windows would flag a program as requiring elevated privileges. Identifying where in the program would be gravy. Even a simple, complete list of causes would help, at least a little.

Dave and Sergey,
Thank you for your prompt replies.
Jalapeno Bob 10-Apr-13 17:16pm View

I thought of using a chili pepper for an avatar, but Chili's Grill and Bar might not be happy with that.....
Jalapeno Bob 3-Feb-11 17:35pm View

This might explain why it does NOT display on some, but why does the text display correctly on other XP machines?