A while back Google announced that they would shutdown Google Reader.
I personally use Google Reader a lot and have been looking for a replacement ever since.
So when this contest came up I thought, Windows Azure would be perfect for this, and it could be quite fun! So lets give it a go.
Benefits Windows Azure
The major benefits for me when using Windows Azure, is that I have some awesome tools and products too work with, MSSQL, blob storage, Azure Web sites. But also the fact that I have no infrastructure to mange and no initial startup cost.
The whole setup will consist of several parts, and will be described in different articles, coming out over the following months as described in the Windows Azure Contest.
- The main part of the application will be a responsive website that will be made for Desktops and Tablets, using Twitter Bootstrap and ASP.net MVC, hosted using a Windows Azure Web sites.
- User information and feed subscriptions will be saved in a SQL Database.
- The content of the posts will be stored in blob storage.
- A Virtual Machine will be checking the feeds for new items every few minutes.
- Another Virtual Machine will be creating a search index of all post.
- Adding feeds from RSS, RSS 2.0 and Atom.
- Infinitive scroll in the reading view
- Search all the current and past feed items
- 3 Party login (Google, Live, Facebook, Twitter)
- Adding feeds from public social media (Twitter, Reddit)
- 1.1 Added a image and fixed some spelling mistakes, also added a description of the virtual machine that will be pulling user feeds.
- 1.0 Initial Article