That didn't quite work but it did set me on the right train of thought and for that I thank you much.
Solved with a couple of simple views combined in a query and let the SSRS report handle the count..
And I can easily reuse the views in a couple of other reports for different level of management..
Treat stressful situations like a dog, if you can't eat it, play with it or screw it, then just piss on it and walk away.
Be careful which toes you step on today, they might be connected to the foot that kicks your butt tomorrow.
Further testing revealed that the problem is with a trigger on the table that was system generated to handle table relationships, and the error raising code in the trigger is being handled differently by SQL 2012 (this code is legacy from many versions of SQL ago)... so if I fix the trigger, I fix the problem (one would assume).
Quad skating his way through the world since the early 80's...
I hate f***ing triggers spit for this exact reason, for some completely unknown reason you get an error that just does not make sense and if you are not in the habit of looking under that particular rock you can spend hours chasing down the issue. I allow audit triggers and absolutely none others, the audit triggers are generated with a script that will both remove and create them according to schema table.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Last Visit: 31-Dec-99 18:00 Last Update: 9-Mar-14 11:36