11,435,407 members (49,385 online)

Comments by Chris Maunder (Top 148 by date)

Chris Maunder at 2-Dec-14 9:31am View

Correct.
Chris Maunder at 1-Dec-14 22:56pm View

gobsmacked.
Chris Maunder at 30-Oct-14 9:47am View

I've actually just put that on the TODO list: Upvotes for comments in QA.
Chris Maunder at 10-Sep-14 10:31am View

Reason for my vote of 1 \n First: This isn't a tip - it's a bare-bones walkthrough of a topic that's been covered many times before. This article doesn't explain what it's trying to do - it simply shows code snippets cut and pasted from a larger applications.

Second: NEVER EVER EVER do something as stupid and dangerous as "using (SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter(txtSelect.Text, conn))". One can only assume that txtSelect is a text box, and you're injecting text a user enters directly into a SQL query. That's a direct SQL injection vulnerability and is EXTREMELY dangerous.
Chris Maunder at 15-May-14 9:50am View

We can't answer without you providing info on what you've tried
Chris Maunder at 18-Apr-14 21:44pm View

Point taken, but I'm looking for something very basic. I guess what I need is a txt-speak-to-English detector and translator.
Chris Maunder at 18-Apr-14 21:43pm View

Let's start with English ;)
Chris Maunder at 10-Oct-13 8:14am View

This is too broad a question. What error are you seeing?
Chris Maunder at 10-Oct-13 8:13am View

You'll need to show some (brief!) code for us to help. You haven't given us anything concrete with which we can help. First, state the exact question you want answered in the title, then post the specific bit you're having a problem with in the body of your question.
Chris Maunder at 20-Aug-13 14:08pm View

Let me address your comments point by point without geting personal and claiming there's something wrong with you.

1. The title of the post says "change bground color of button when mouseover". The poor grammar makes it extremely ambiguous. Does the OP mean "a javascript mouseover event" or do that mean "when the mouse hovers over the button"? As I said, I would like the OP to clarify. My interpretation was that he wanted to change the background colour when the mouse is over the button. My answer addressed this. I would LOVE the OP to clarify his question and if my understanding was wrong, I'll remove my answer.

2. "you gave a misleading answer as it ignores first part of the question.". I updated my answer with clarifictions

3. "And your comment "JavaScript not jQuery" is totally wrong". My full comment was "he posted sample code that attempted to solve this with Javascript, not jQuery." I see some plain Javascript in his code, but I do not see the OP using the jQuery library anywhere in his post.

4. "Finally, it's too hard to agree that "it's up to OP to mark your solution as correct and incorrect"." Why doesn't the OP have the right to decide the correctness of an answer?

5. "As you don't want to admit your mistake" Was my mistake in using CSS, or was my mistake in not taking his javasacript and adapting that to work with more than one button?

6. "I'll vote 1 for your question, sorry. I hope you won't tell me that I cannot do that. :-)"

This is your right. Enjoy.
Chris Maunder at 20-Aug-13 12:10pm View

Your response to the question was not an answer - in the sense it wasn't a solution that would enable the user to solve his problem.

With regards to my answer being incorrect I'm happy to have the original poster respond to my post and clarify. His question was title "change bground color of button when mouseover" and he posted sample code that attempted to solve this with Javascript, not jQuery. He also specifically asked how to make it work for many buttons, which my solution addressed. Nowhere do I mention "how to have two or more buttons of different colors"

It's up to the OP to comment and mark my solution correct or incorrect. I welcome your interpretation, but with respect I feel your intepretation of the question goes a little too far.
Chris Maunder at 21-Apr-13 16:18pm View

...as long as you're happy with a little bit of rounding if you use double.
Chris Maunder at 17-Mar-13 13:10pm View

What technology?
Chris Maunder at 13-Jan-13 9:43am View

"This is not a quick question. "

Please simply report it as such and move on. Let's encourage the sorts of questions that motivate people to answer instead of encouraging laziness.
Chris Maunder at 28-Nov-12 21:32pm View

Two windows open. One development, one live.

Which do you think I posted the test post on? /slapshead
Chris Maunder at 18-Oct-12 9:41am View

Your answer is copy and pasted from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ebwdx8yh(v=vs.71).aspx. Further plagiarism will result in your account being cancelled. By all means, quote and reference other sources. However, do not simply cut and paste entire articles posted elsewhere.
Chris Maunder at 29-Sep-12 10:40am View

1. the original was

DECLARE @Query VARCHAR(MAX)
SET @Query = @Query + ...

So @Query has not been initialised.

2. Yeah, I was being lazy. Break out DECLARE @Query VARCHAR(MAX) = '' into

DECLARE @Query VARCHAR(MAX)
SET @Query = ''
Chris Maunder at 29-Sep-12 6:36am View

It's probably an issue with the stored proc you're calling. Please update your question and add the code for the sproc so we can help
Chris Maunder at 25-Sep-12 13:54pm View

Report the questions and move on :). It's a community effort to keep things focussed.
Chris Maunder at 9-Aug-12 9:28am View

Report removed.
Chris Maunder at 15-May-12 14:26pm View

I've closed this question. Partly because it's a repost, and partly because you're treating members who are trying to help you like they are your staff.

Everyone here helps each other for no other reason than they like to help others. I understand you're frustrated, but show some consideration.
Chris Maunder at 14-May-12 20:34pm View

Simpler simply to edit harish85's answer and update with links.
Chris Maunder at 17-Apr-12 14:46pm View

Report the question as a bad question and move on. No need to insult.
Chris Maunder at 7-Mar-12 10:01am View

What have you tried?
Chris Maunder at 11-Feb-12 14:15pm View

My apologies - I did not take note of the "it will provide thread safety". You are absolutely correct in that thread safety is not provided by default and will have to be accounted for.
Chris Maunder at 10-Feb-12 22:41pm View

I'm looking for the "Sainthood" button on Christian's posts. I think I need to add one.
Chris Maunder at 10-Feb-12 22:27pm View

No, it's not a lie. You can create background threads in ASP.NET and in some (rare) situations it's a very effective tool. We do it ourselves.
Chris Maunder at 7-Feb-12 8:41am View

[.\n] or [.\r\n]?
Chris Maunder at 6-Feb-12 22:45pm View

I've updated the example to show you.
Chris Maunder at 2-Feb-12 16:32pm View

I was guessing, but "window based EXE" to me means a normal windows-based application.
Chris Maunder at 2-Feb-12 15:26pm View

Please SA - not everyone has English as their first language, nor are we, as developers, renowned for our spelling. Vote, report, or even better, use your abililty to edit posts to correct it so that others can read it more easily. Making someone feel bad helps no one.
Chris Maunder at 2-Feb-12 7:54am View

Please read the docs for the DateTime structure: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.datetime.aspx. DateTime.Day, DateTime.Month are what you're after.
Chris Maunder at 2-Feb-12 7:47am View

Some code would help. Can you please post a small snippet?
Chris Maunder at 2-Feb-12 7:43am View

The question was "How do I do it in ASP.NET".
Chris Maunder at 31-Jan-12 21:26pm View

What does the markup look like? Specifically, what is "lblTotal"?
Chris Maunder at 31-Jan-12 21:20pm View

Totally agree.
Chris Maunder at 31-Jan-12 21:20pm View

You guys have the power to flag and close questions. If 5 of you flag a question it's gone. Just 5 people. The quality of the forum questions would rise considerably. Do your bit, we'll do ours.
Chris Maunder at 31-Jan-12 19:00pm View

Point well made, but an even better way to make the point is to use the reporting mechanism, flag it as an incomplete question, and move on.

I would much, MUCH rather everyone simply used the voting mechanisms we have in place rather than making others feel stupid and embarrassed.
Chris Maunder at 30-Jan-12 20:14pm View

...which is a little annoying when you're trying to switch between Javascript and C# with the same regular expression. Though I don't understand why \n isn't included in "." in Multiline mode for all flavours of regex.
Chris Maunder at 24-Jan-12 21:27pm View

Why can't you use any subquery, joins, unions, etc?
Chris Maunder at 24-Jan-12 14:35pm View

So vote the question as "Not a question" then.
Chris Maunder at 24-Jan-12 14:17pm View

Who are you directing this to?
Chris Maunder at 17-Oct-11 17:01pm View

Can I suggest, please, that you don't.

It never turns out to be a good idea. Ever.
Chris Maunder at 17-Oct-11 16:57pm View

What have you tried and what, through debugging, is being shown as the bottleneck? Help us to help you.
Chris Maunder at 4-Oct-11 8:51am View

Updated to reflect updates to original
Chris Maunder at 4-Oct-11 8:47am View

Reason for my vote of 1
The time has long since passed when a recursive solution for calculating factorials was acceptable.
Chris Maunder at 4-Oct-11 8:47am View

I've reworked the method to make it more generic and cleaner.
Chris Maunder at 4-Oct-11 8:43am View

Nooooooooooo! Please, no more recursive functions for factorials. It's a horribly inefficient way to solve such a simple problem.
Chris Maunder at 2-Oct-11 8:35am View

testing
Chris Maunder at 2-Oct-11 8:03am View

Not a question. Removing
Chris Maunder at 2-Oct-11 7:57am View

Test comment
Chris Maunder at 20-Sep-11 0:27am View

Encrypting passwords is a bad idea. The poster was asking about hashing. Two very different beasts.
Chris Maunder at 19-Sep-11 23:50pm View

It was a bit of an off-the-cuff answer since we use it that way and I can't recall experiencing the same issue recently. Obviously there's more to the story.
Chris Maunder at 16-Sep-11 17:09pm View

Please post the question at the forum on http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/WPFDiagramDesigner_Part1.aspx, not here.
Chris Maunder at 15-Sep-11 11:03am View

I think he means the text-to-html ratio of text within an HTML document.

Maybe.
Chris Maunder at 16-Aug-11 22:31pm View

Show us the code for GetDataUser. That's where the error is. Have you checked your connection strings?
Chris Maunder at 15-Aug-11 11:37am View

I would add this at the start:

if @Input is null or @SearchString is null or LEN(@SearchString) = 0 or LEN(@SearchString) > LEN(@input)

There is also an error with your parenthesis. I've fixed your code. Thanks again!
return 0
Chris Maunder at 15-Aug-11 10:13am View

Christian - please post this as a comment, not as an answer. Better yet: report and close the question and move on to a question where you feel the author can best make use of what you can offer.
Chris Maunder at 15-Aug-11 10:00am View

What's the error? You're not helping us help you.
Chris Maunder at 11-Aug-11 21:43pm View

Add the smallest snippet of code you can to your question and we might be able to help. Please edit the original question: don't post the info as an answer or comment.
Chris Maunder at 11-Aug-11 21:42pm View

From Steve: Still makes me say hmmm.... All of the other menu properties carry across the postback. Turns out on a postback, I was not resetting the properties for anything. All stayed except for RenderingMode. Moved RenderingMode before the bail on the postback, solved annoying problem
Chris Maunder at 11-Aug-11 18:05pm View

Post this as a comment, please, not an answer. It's just adding to the debris. (Deleting)
Chris Maunder at 9-Aug-11 12:15pm View

We can't answer if you haven't told us what you've tried and where your error is. Closing the question.
Chris Maunder at 9-Aug-11 12:15pm View

Chris Maunder at 9-Aug-11 12:15pm View

Chris Maunder at 30-Jul-11 6:18am View

Why use a hammer?

Deleting since this is too open and has no context.
Chris Maunder at 27-Jul-11 11:30am View

Which is best? A hammer or a screwdriver?
Chris Maunder at 26-Jul-11 22:04pm View

This is a completely pointless comment. Let me know when you get it and I'll remove it.
Chris Maunder at 25-Jul-11 21:19pm View

Just to be Devil's advocate here - well, not quite - doing a Select Column1,..., ColumnN from Table can be just as dangerous. Was the issue because you had two tables both with a column name with the same name? Select Table.Column1,..., Table.ColumnN from Table will at least allow the stored proc to compile, but even then your rowset will contain duplicate column names.

Correct database change management is what will save you here. Select * is not the problem, it's a symptom.
Chris Maunder at 18-Jun-11 13:23pm View

What have you tried?
Chris Maunder at 12-Jun-11 20:28pm View

Fair call. I've updated the code.
Chris Maunder at 12-Jun-11 16:42pm View

typo
Chris Maunder at 4-Jun-11 15:00pm View

You haven't asked a question, you've just stated a problem. Ask a specific question and you may get some help
Chris Maunder at 2-Jun-11 18:24pm View

What have you tried?
Chris Maunder at 27-May-11 22:07pm View

How is client side scripting going to help with extremely large datasets on the server side?
Chris Maunder at 27-May-11 22:05pm View

What, specifically, isn't working? You need to be precise.
Chris Maunder at 27-May-11 7:52am View

What's the question? We need more than that to help you
Chris Maunder at 11-May-11 20:34pm View

What type is "lboxStudentIDs.SelectedValue" and what type is "SchoolIDS"? You can't just cast between different types and expect it to work
Chris Maunder at 11-May-11 20:32pm View

What's your question?
Chris Maunder at 21-Apr-11 8:50am View

But maybe Google is...
Chris Maunder at 21-Apr-11 8:24am View

Ask a sepcific question. We won't do your homework.
Chris Maunder at 19-Apr-11 8:56am View

Show us what you've tried and ask a specific question on what's blocking you and then we can help you.
Chris Maunder at 15-Apr-11 9:30am View

If the poster has made no effort to help us answer his question then report the question and move on.
Chris Maunder at 15-Apr-11 9:27am View

Do you want to do this within your code, at the database level? ie do you want the Access database to return the data pre-formatted. What have you tried so far?
Chris Maunder at 15-Apr-11 9:22am View

You need to send us the statement you are using to insert the records.
Chris Maunder at 8-Apr-11 8:53am View

If you tell us what you've tried we can provide specific help.
Chris Maunder at 7-Apr-11 10:07am View

Best to just report the question as "Not a question" and move on.
Chris Maunder at 6-Apr-11 14:10pm View

That's great, but it's not a question. Ask us for specific help. We'll help, but we won't do your work for you. Reported as "Not a question"
Chris Maunder at 5-Apr-11 12:28pm View

Can you please post the code you have that wraps the "Phone Number" etc blocks? I think it's a wrapping problem
Chris Maunder at 22-Mar-11 22:16pm View

No it isn't. And you mean MFC, right?
Chris Maunder at 20-Mar-11 23:47pm View

Which article?
Chris Maunder at 20-Mar-11 23:47pm View

That's not a question. What, specifically, are you asking?
Chris Maunder at 16-Mar-11 11:13am View

*cough* blackberry *cough*
Chris Maunder at 15-Mar-11 21:29pm View

If the question is unclear then report it using the Flag icon above and to the right.
Chris Maunder at 1-Mar-11 16:04pm View

From : donmillaalex

Cool, article. We were doing something similar to manage concurrent users but hit a wall with when users refreshed the page.

It was noticed during development test that the session count was not working right especially when users refreshed pages though App hit count was being read OK and different session ID's were being generated as expected. Plus it came to light as well that IE handles sessions slight different from Chrome and FF. - Just an observation not found a work around yet....
Chris Maunder at 21-Feb-11 21:11pm View

My mistake then - I didn't dive into the docs for HashSet deeply enough and assumed that it would throw an error if you tried to add an item with an existing key and that you were using the try/catch to handle this. Carry on...
Chris Maunder at 18-Feb-11 23:49pm View

Most images are going to have many, many repeated colours so you're using try/catch to handle common branching logic, not exceptional errors. Eww. Why not use "Contains" to check for existence first in order to save the overhead associated with try/catch?
Chris Maunder at 9-Feb-11 7:34am View

This is an impossible question and, unfortunately, will be removed.

You need to ask specific questions. We can't just write your app for you, or tell you how to do your job. Break the problem down into peices, work on them, and when you're stuck ask for specific help.
Chris Maunder at 8-Feb-11 7:34am View

Please just delete questions of this calibre.
Chris Maunder at 3-Feb-11 1:18am View

On behalf of original poster:

Hi sandeep,
I gone through the links,but that is not working in my project,In eclipse am using code like

table id="displayNameRole"
<th>Sl.no</th>
<thcolspan=5>Member Name</th>
<th>Role Name&</th>
<%int flag=0;
for(String logedInUser_RoleId:logedInUserRoleIdList){
if(flag==0){
if(logedInUser_RoleId.equalsIgnoreCase(&quot;Role2&quot;)||logedInUser_RoleId.equalsIgnoreCase(&quot;Role1&quot;)){
flag=1;%>
<th>Change Role </th>
<%}
%>
</tr>
int i=1;
for(some code){
flag=1;
out.println("<tr>");
out.println("<td>"+ i +"</td>);
String roleName=(String)viewMemberRoleMap.get(viewMembersName.get(i-1));
String membersName=(String)viewMembersName.get(i-1);
out.println("<td colspan=5>"+retrieveUserName.getUserName(membersName,null)+"</td>");
out.println("<td>"+roleName+"</td>");
for(String logedInUser_RoleId:logedInUserRoleIdList){
if(flag==1){
if(logedInUser_RoleId.equalsIgnoreCase("Role2")&)||logedInUser_RoleId.equalsIgnoreCase("Role1"){
flag=0;
out.println("<td>") }
out.println("</tr>");
i++;
But it is not working..What to do?
Chris Maunder at 3-Feb-11 1:15am View

An out paramter will always be assigned a value. Even so, I follow the pattern of

if (!int.TryParse(..., out variable))
variable = 0;
Chris Maunder at 2-Feb-11 6:30am View

"Each Task has different attributes and details": What do you mean? Are there more fields depending on the type of Task?
Chris Maunder at 24-Jan-11 7:00am View

Why are you trying to stop someone hitting the back button? I'm assuming it's to stop them viewing a page that should only be viewed when logged in.

So, my comment relates to what to do if someone tries to view a page they aren't meant to, and the answer is, handle this on the server side when they try and view the page.

If you are trying to stop them, at the client side, from viewing a page you can't. If javascript is disabled then you scripting efforts are a waste. If they manually look up their history and go to the page, or have bookmarked a page and then go to the bookmark, then you're back to square 1.

Discourage someone from viewing a page, yes, but don't mess with the history, and don't assume they won't get to the page.
Chris Maunder at 24-Jan-11 1:56am View

Encouraging developers to mess with browser history is a bad, bad thing.

If I see a site is trying to stop me hitting a page you know what the first thing I do is? I try and see what they are hiding. If devs feel they can stop people hitting the back button then they may get sloppy and think the previous page is now safe and doesn't need safeguards from those not logged in.

Besides: disable javascript and your solution fails.
Chris Maunder at 22-Jan-11 6:55am View

Far better to just edit your original comment than repost a new one.
Chris Maunder at 18-Jan-11 6:59am View

[moved from answer]OP wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
I am already using placeholder to add the gridview control.
i.e. placeholder.Controls.Add(grd);

Also tried to add div control in place of placeholder to add the gridview; but that didn't work either.

It would be helpful if you can explain your solution, if you have tried my code.

Your help would be appreciated

Thanks
Tushar
Chris Maunder at 18-Jan-11 1:37am View

Just a test. Please ignore (I will delete)
Chris Maunder at 15-Jan-11 6:38am View

How many times has a developer been tasked with something impractical? I'd say either help the poor suffering guy or move on.
Chris Maunder at 12-Jan-11 6:12am View

Looks like your article is now "pending" but has been referred to the editors before it can be moderated and approved. Give it a few more hours and Sean will have had a coffee and be able to go through it.
Chris Maunder at 11-Jan-11 6:00am View

Testing, please ignore (I'll delete this!)
Chris Maunder at 4-Jan-11 7:40am View

Please let me know if you get this. I will delete the message after it's posted.
Chris Maunder at 30-Dec-10 17:07pm View

TRying now in IE7 standards mode (I know, I could do this on my dev machine but this is more fun)
Chris Maunder at 30-Dec-10 17:04pm View

Now testing with FF.
Chris Maunder at 30-Dec-10 17:02pm View

Testing comments. Will delete this
Chris Maunder at 16-Dec-10 1:08am View

a) This is fine for a single line, but will not do anything to help format multiline HTML to formatted (or readable) plain text.
b) Why not just use Replace(@"\<[^\>]*\>", String.Empty) (though this will fail for poorly formatted HTML such as "a < b or a > b" not being correctly HTML encoded)
Chris Maunder at 12-Nov-10 8:46am View

Just testing the comment system
Chris Maunder at 10-Oct-10 8:35am View

Unfortunately this entry cannot be approved and will be removed.
Chris Maunder at 9-Oct-10 8:11am View

Reason for my vote of 1
Plagiarism
Chris Maunder at 29-Sep-10 22:38pm View

Reason for my vote of 5
Automatic vote of 5 for accepting answer.
Chris Maunder at 29-Sep-10 18:26pm View

Reason for my vote of 5
Automatic vote of 5 for accepting answer.
Chris Maunder at 15-Sep-10 21:45pm View

Please tell me you aren't leaving your sa password blank....
Chris Maunder at 15-Sep-10 9:09am View

Please don't spam the boards. This is totally inappropriate. Deleting
Chris Maunder at 11-Sep-10 21:39pm View

Reason for my vote of 5
This is a test vote. Relax - I will remove this comment and restore the vote to 5.
Chris Maunder at 11-Sep-10 21:39pm View

Reason for my vote of 2
Chris Maunder at 7-Sep-10 22:48pm View

You can. You can also write code that's easily read by all levels of programmers that may need to touch your code. I prefer clarity to cleverness.
Chris Maunder at 16-Aug-10 9:51am View

Better to post this in the Bugs and Suggestions forum. Removing this.
Chris Maunder at 7-Aug-10 19:39pm View

Doesn't work
Chris Maunder at 14-Jul-10 22:17pm View

Note quite: it's also available, as a previous answerer noted, in HttpContext.Current
Chris Maunder at 12-Jul-10 22:45pm View

Reason for my vote of 1
This isn't a question.
Chris Maunder at 3-Jul-10 9:39am View

ASP.NET validation controls emit client side validation. Did you read the article link I posted?
Chris Maunder at 30-Jun-10 13:55pm View

Nice.
Chris Maunder at 30-Jun-10 12:45pm View

We'd still have to check for the existence before dropping it - though we couold wrap in a try/catch. Merging the SETs into a SELECT? Great idea!
Chris Maunder at 28-Jun-10 22:37pm View

This makes no sense. What are you actually trying to do?
Chris Maunder at 25-Jun-10 16:06pm View

This is a test comment
Chris Maunder at 16-Jun-10 1:12am View

Looks like Sloppy is the go. Thanks
Chris Maunder at 16-Jun-10 1:12am View

No luck in getting this to install in Win7. I'll keep plugging away though.
Chris Maunder at 16-Jun-10 0:04am View

Reason for my vote of 1
We can't help you unless you explain what you need.
Chris Maunder at 11-Jun-10 7:53am View

Reason for my vote of 1
1 for downvoting the answer instead of clarifying the question in the case the answer was not quite what you wanted. Show some manners.
Chris Maunder at 18-May-10 21:46pm View

Reason for my vote of 1
You have not explained yourself. How can we possibly help you?
Chris Maunder at 18-May-10 21:45pm View

What is it about performance you wish to know?
Chris Maunder at 18-May-10 14:16pm View

Reason for my vote of 1
You've got to be kidding us if you want us to do your homework for you.
Chris Maunder at 17-May-10 23:22pm View

Reason for my vote of 1
You've not explained your problem at all.
Chris Maunder at 13-May-10 12:31pm View

Better to post this as a comment, not an answer...
Chris Maunder at 13-May-10 7:47am View

Send code for what?
Chris Maunder at 12-May-10 17:59pm View

this ; is a comment
Chris Maunder at 4-May-10 8:49am View

We do detect the location, but IP locating isn't an exact science. Even though, really, it should be.
Chris Maunder at 4-May-10 1:32am View

We can't answer your question without more information.
Chris Maunder at 4-May-10 0:31am View