The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
I'm sorting out the spare room, and found a very black silver locket - obviously Herself's, it had a picture of her late son in it.
So I look on t'interweb, and it says to bring one litre of water to the boil with a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda, and a piece of aluminium foil, and drop the silver in it for ten seconds.
"What the heck" thought I. "She hasn't worn it for fifteen years, doesn't matter if it doesn't work". So I took out the picture, and tried it.
By heck. It only worked! Shiny, bright, and silver ... that's some serious Brownie Points with Herself, right there!
Contrary to my hard felt belief, not everything on the internet is
3) Cat pictures,
or 4) Rubbish.
Verily, I am amazed!
Bad command or file name. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaaay...
I've used that same technique a long time, but my recipe adds a teaspoon o' salt, and a wee jigger of white vinegar ... forget where I got that recipe, however, but it's a frequently cited one.
It would be interesting to A/B test with and without salt, and vinegar.
Did you use a glass container as usuallu suggested "?
«When I consider my brief span of life, swallowed up in an eternity before and after, the little space I fill, and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, now rather than then.» Blaise Pascal
Coming from Windows 7, and not being able to update it as a specific and needed software was still not compatible with 10, I started yesterday to update my main development machine.
Good things that were not in 7:
- Being able to switch languages pressing Windows + space (while writing in a web form, in word...) this is wonderful, I guess that this is not needed by most of English speaking guys/girls here... but to me that write often in Catalan, Spanish and English... it is wonderful.
- I had only 10GB of free space before... now that I have everything again at it's place I have 100GB free... probably a copy of windows 10 ready to be installed, all the Lenovo drivers, that recovery partition that is not there anymore (but I have a recovery USB from Lenovo yay!) and who knows what else was lying under the know things...
- I can access the DLNA media server directly from the operating system.
- Edge works really well... I need to find out how to add more rows of "main sites" to get it as I like but appart of that I'm happy with it's performance.
- The display quality has improved a lot... Having 14" display and a high dpi resolution was not good with 7... now everything looks great.
- The way search works after pressing "windows" is really nice.
- Having one task bar under all the screens is nice. It would be great if the start menu would appear on the display the mouse is at the moment you press the windows key, but having the bar in all the displays is a good thing.
- Everything works fast and well...
There are small things that still need to improve but...
- Having Edge as the default PDF viewer is not good enough... can't rotate easily...
- Missing MRU (last used files) in the start menu.
- Would like to be able to change the wallpaper in the login screen... That cave and beach is...
The display quality has improved a lot... Having 14" display and a high dpi resolution was not good with 7... now everything looks great.
Really? That's funny, I had to install some weird not-really-trustworthy tool to unblur everything on 125%. 150% worked, somehow, but that's way too much. It can't even be done with a registry tweak, MS in their wisdom has decided to reset that setting every couple of reboots.
Last Visit: 31-Dec-99 18:00 Last Update: 30-Apr-17 21:47