The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions. Or if you must, use the Back Room[^] - but enter at your own risk.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen. For those discussions where you wish to be a little more frank, use the Soapbox[^]
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
Most local supermarkets don't accept payment in BitCoin, so at some stage you are going to have to convert your BitCoin into local currency. This can be traced.
The Infernal Revenue Service (of whatever country) has quite sophisticated models concerning the costs of living, etc. If it comes to their notice that you are living at a certain standard and have no visible income, they are bound to get interested.
The penalties for tax evasion are usually quite severe. I have my doubts about the quality of the food in the local prisons, and I look terrible in uniform (any uniform!)
If none of the above apply to you - go ahead!
If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.
"the debugger doesn't tell me anything because this code compiles just fine" - random QA comment
"Facebook is where you tell lies to your friends. Twitter is where you tell the truth to strangers." - chriselst
"I don't drink any more... then again, I don't drink any less." - Mike Mullikins uncle
If it's above board why cant they convert it to local $ and pay you in that?
Same as if being paid by an overseas company.
Is it really salary, or contact?
If it's the latter then you can deal with the tax differently - still have to pay but for instance can take out expenses and so pay less tax. (Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance isn't.)
Do not switch off your computer.
Indeed. I got one level up from the call centre to a "floor manager" who informed me she was the only manager available. Apparently their senior management trust them so much that only one person has to be around.
Is that the future will keep clairvoyants in suspense.
«While I complain of being able to see only a shadow of the past, I may be insensitive to reality as it is now, since I'm not at a stage of development where I'm capable of seeing it. A few hundred years later another traveler despairing as myself, may mourn the disappearance of what I may have seen, but failed to see.» Claude Levi-Strauss (Tristes Tropiques, 1955)</
And if @PIEBALDconsult drops by, just double-click on the desktop and all the icons are hidden. (Double-click again and they re-appear.)
They used to have a "restore" option because Windows 7 would obliterate things once in a while, but on W10 with the latest fences, I don't see that option, so maybe they've figured out how to "fix" W10.
You realise with w10 you're supposed to use uwp-metro with big ass baby blocks
do you know how hard ms worked to give you that?
and then gave it to you for free?
show some appreciation and do what nads want's you to do:
1. just shut up and suck up whatever we give you as-is,
2. why? because after examining all of your data only we know what's best for you
3. and just because.
please avoid the old efficient desktop with icons and such like things they way you like them
the desktop and pretty much all customisation likely to be removed in future updates ... oh wait, you say only in some versions, isn't there supposed to be only one windows 10? good on ya ms, remove the confusion, by replacing it with even less understood product.
Been doing it to me since Vista. I keep mine lined up in columns, LHS of screen, but I have just given up on trying to maintain MY ordering. I don't recall seeing it happen dynamically as you describe; it's mostly after a reboot, sleep/hibernate or screen/monitor reconfiguration.
Software rusts. Simon Stephenson, ca 1994. So does this signature. me, 2012
I stopped updating windows after Win2k. I haven't seen anything like that.
".45 ACP - because shooting twice is just silly" - JSOP, 2010 ----- You can never have too much ammo - unless you're swimming, or on fire. - JSOP, 2010 ----- When you pry the gun from my cold dead hands, be careful - the barrel will be very hot. - JSOP, 2013
Most commonly when something triggers a screen resolution change. This was a recurring dumpsterfire at my old job when going from docked and laptop lid closed to undocked and laptop screen in use. At home I get it occasionally when installing a GFX driver update independently from windows update (which I assume does it during the reboot phase to avoid damage).
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
Training a telescope on one’s own belly button will only reveal lint. You like that? You go right on staring at it. I prefer looking at galaxies.
-- Sarah Hoyt
I was assisting a colleague while she was on a conference call and remote with a client troubleshooting a problem with a .csv file. I recommended to open the file with Notepad and look for an empty row which shows as just a bunch of commas. When she finds the offensive line, she brings it to the client's attention so that they may be able to correct the problem themselves in the future and says 'you will need to remove the line here...comma comma comma comma comma'....[fill in the blank]
I couldn't resist! All parties attending got a good chuckle!