The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
WHAT? He's dead? When did that happen? Why didn't anybody post something about that?
Anyway, he may be dead. but I'm sure he's loving it[^]...
Anything that is unrelated to elephants is irrelephant Anonymous - The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine Winston Churchill, 1944 - I'd just like a chance to prove that money can't make me happy. Me, all the time
After the 50th post about Windows 10 complaints, it gets old, boring, and tiring. So, the 51st person's complaint post is not even read, because it is no different than the other posts before it. Sucks for the poster.
I have a new issue with Win X, I hope someone can help me with. I have little or no network skills, but I do (did, cause it's not working anymore) have a small network at home. A very old Windows 2008 in my basement and a fairly old, but still running smooth Win 7 upgraded to Win X machine.
I added some shared drives in my basement and used remote desktop to do some config on my "server" occasionally.
Since yesterday I think, the shared drives are inaccessible and remote desktop doesn´t work anymore, for whatever reason (the server does not accept any connections according to diagnostics). However, my laptop from work can access the remote desktop (which is a Win 7), but also no shared drives
I did about everything I could think of.
- Checked allow remote desktop connections
- Checked file sharing is on and user has sufficient rights (though never changed that in the first place)
- Allowed the remote desktop through the firewall
- Switched the firewall completely off
- Checked all the services where running
- did a scf and it fixed an error (server).
- I DID try turning it off and on again
- performed last updates
- Changed some funky registry setting apparently changed with Win X.
I can still ping the server and it still shows in the network (though no access)
I was thinking about some system restore, but not sure which machine. Is it really the server blocking something from Win X or is it the Win X that is doing something it shouldn't? Note that it worked for over 2 weeks before anything like this went wrong. I'm not convinced reverting will change anything.
thanks for any ideas you can throw my way
I have NO idea. My best guess is that a file was corrupt which in turn made the some services fail on startup and that combined with the fact that you need to reboot the client (my Win X) before retrying the connection.
Or something like that... Anyway, finally have my music back
Not related to the OP, but the other day the office printer was having problems. I went to check on it, and on its LCD display it was saying "System Error - restart printer", and included a picture showing where the power button was. Very helpful....
Yeah, yeah. You pulled a cable out (or the cat/dog/mouse/wife/house ghost/meter reader did) and didn't notice, didn't you? Come on. Admit it. We've all been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, spilled wine down it, and donated it to the charity shop. We'll think none the less of you (although I can't guarantee that that isn't because there's no more 'down' to go ....)
How do they get away with it? Why do we let them?
Am running Windows 8.0 (dutifully dismissing the "update now to 8.1" messages that keep interrupting me at random intervals) and was in the middle of a long VS2013 debug session. Cleared a watch window and BAM! Screen went black, followed by "Restarting Windows...." OK, so something's gone really wrong, system restart, ho-hum not the end of the world. Next thing I know, "Keep your PC plugged in until this is done. Installing update 22 of 185..."
WTF??? The PC doesn't even know my Microsoft account details (very careful about that). Never signed up or requested auto-updates. Never requested any updates to 8.1 or anything else.
It's now up to update 49 of 185, after about 10 minutes. Would it be doing this if the machine weren't on mains power? What if I were in a meeting, or a product demo, or selling something online, or - god forbid - simply trying to get some work done? What the hell gives Microsoft the right to micro-manage my working day by taking control of MY computer when IT feels like it and "updating" it with god-only-knows what... presumably the MS spyware that is being "backwards integrated" from Win10 to previous versions.
On that point, how can any company comply with UK/EU data protection legislation when it seems we can't control what gets sent to Microsoft (including document content)...?
Thank goodness I still have this old XP laptop so I can browse CodeProject whilst twiddling my thumbs. I wonder if I can bill Microsoft for wasted time... no, I thought not...
The MS callbacks are "hard-coded" to the extent that they bypass the HOSTS file, and Windows Firewall will also ignore attempts to block calls to their addresses. The only option would be to implement a separate external firewall and then somehow to keep it continuously maintained with MS IP addresses - not really practical for Joe Bloggs or even most of us on CodeProject.
Interestingly, I've just spoken to the ICO about this and they are unaware of the issue. Their advice is to contact Microsoft UK and if I'm not "satisfied" with their response, to then raise a complaint with the ICO. I suggest we all do this a.s.a.p....
Update - now installing update 91 of 185...
Last Visit: 31-Dec-99 19:00 Last Update: 17-Jan-21 16:17