The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen.
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
Scarcely a day goes by that one does not hear of one or more fatal accidents in the USA involving Pappa Charlies. (Air traffic controller jargon: 'Pappa Charlie' = "P*ss Cat" = small privately owned aircraft.)
I am extremely loathe to get into any flying machine that is not a professionally flown craft under constant air traffic controller guidance. In other words: An aircraft operated on a scheduled basis by a recognized airline. Even then I am not totally at ease. Look at the Boeing MAX disasters.
Latest firefox has new Picture-In-Picture feature so you can watch videos while doing other things. You can click on the pip link that will appear when watching a video and the video will move to TopMost window in bottom-right while all your other windows work as normally.
It's especially nice if you're doing training videos and you want to use your code editor while watching a video.
Here's a snapshot of it: https://i.stack.imgur.com/vIiaA.png[^]
(That's the feature running on Ubuntu desktop, but it works on Win10 too.)
I switched away from Google Chrome to FireFox over a year ago and it has been nice.
Yeah...part of the features of most GUI-based operating systems is to manage windows independently...you'd have to think they would be best suited to allow the user to arrange different windows as he pleases. I can't imagine the people behind Firefox, as smart as they think they might be, could be doing a better job of it.
Oh, yes, for the _rich_ dev who has two monitors, that is all well and good.
But, for the rest of us...There is (Picture-in-Picture)PIP.
Seriously, at home I only have one monitor and this PIP really helps.
I'm not rich, and I have three now: I added one for email / DB monitoring when Herself stopped using her computer ...
I really miss 'em when - like now - I'm on the surface. Doing things so much slower with just one!
"I have no idea what I did, but I'm taking full credit for it." - ThisOldTony
AntiTwitter: @DalekDave is now a follower!
Yes, I thought it was so great that I immediately went to settings, and turned it off.
A couple of other browsers let you pop videos out to separate windows, so that you can move them out of the way of the text you're trying to read. That's a slightly better solution, but I hardly ever used that, either.
I wanna be a eunuchs developer! Pass me a bread knife!
You can "script" the Windows Voice Synthesizer. English has at least 5 "voices", so now you can have a 5-way. Tried multiple Synths, but only one was effective, so you can't "talk over" someone. Still, with changing pitch, etc., you can have interesting meetings (behind closed doors) and not even be there.
Or add it as a script / hook to your co-workers PC so it talks back as they type.
It was only in wine that he laid down no limit for himself, but he did not allow himself to be confused by it.
― Confucian Analects: Rules of Confucius about his food
What do the digits of pi, colliding blocks and quantum search algorithms have in common ... they connect the worlds of dynamics, geometry and quantum computation, highlighting how even the most abstract math puzzles can have surprising physical relevance.
«One day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have christened reality is an even greater illusion than the world of dreams.» Salvador Dali