The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
I learned a long time ago to think of a standard as a yardstick against which implementations can be measured, as opposed to a blueprint for implementation. In a perfect world a standard would be the latter, but that isn't the world we live in.
It's even worse when you take a few shots at fixing the problem, throwing code solutions at it all day, just to realize the problem wasn't there or was far simpler than expected. You normally realize this after throwing hundreds of lines of code at it and then figure how to kill the problem in just two or three lines. So embarrassing.
The other day I needed to work on a website with VS. Not seeing the .sln in it's normal place (outside the main folder) I simply opened it as a website. Weird, all kink of errors in the code-behind where page controls aren't recognized...but it will run...odd, rebuilding doesn't seem to do anything. An hour later, I finally spot the .sln/.suo inside the folder....start from that and it works fine!
Your scenario sounds like the 'optimistic' design somebody brought up the other day.
1) Yes. It happens (feel-good sounding).
2) Much less annoying frustrating infuriating than being give a project, making it work, and then having them 'change there mind' - and it's now a total waste of effort and some of my life has passed and it's not only about the money (we are, after all, artists, are we not?).
I just so hard waiting for the new year so my manager-snuffing quota is refreshed.
I spent the day swimming in another devs code a few weeks ago. Function is called to search through a set of business rules and creates an EF transaction and returns a boolean. The code was spaghetti and required a bunch of refactoring to really figure out the paths. Lots of conditions and nested if blocks with direct return calls to exit the function.. Finally identified code that returned a bool before commiting the transaction.. hooray!!! During the refactor I simplify the code and eliminate all the return calls to ensure all business rules are met and there is an accurate return value. Run through my tests.. works.. Do a final test before checkin. Realize the main class that calls the function doesn't use the boolean result.. It's actually just a simple DoStuff procedure and the result is irrelevant because the transaction that gets commited is the actual result.
A whole day wasted troubleshooting and refactoring a function that never needed to be one. Lesson learned.. when its not your code, don't just fix the broken line. Figure out the "why" and not just the "how".
"the debugger doesn't tell me anything because this code compiles just fine" - random QA comment
"Facebook is where you tell lies to your friends. Twitter is where you tell the truth to strangers." - chriselst
"I don't drink any more... then again, I don't drink any less." - Mike Mullikins uncle
Last Visit: 29-Feb-20 3:58 Last Update: 29-Feb-20 3:58