The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
But also, as I discover now, they are a typical way for the management to blame the developers for wasting time and not even have delivered a simple product yet despite all the development time already spent!
Are you talking about specs that change in the middle of the development cycle? Any non-trivial change to a spec should be met with the statement that the schedule must be revisited. If management disagrees, any sensible jury will see it as justifiable GBH if you kick them in the groin with all your might.
Yes, that's what I am talking about.
Moving spec are treated with a "how come this doesn't do it already" question?!
It's not like there is a nice spec document, it's n house development and spec are "discovered" as we go...
I am a contractor too now, it pays well!
1 year in my first 3 months contract
Anyway, ideally I'd like it to keep on going with a friendly ending! People there are nice too... Just there is a bit of stress right now, and the CIO has a slight tendency to do management by bullying, but only slight!
My experience has been be careful what jobs you take. I've actually had one outfit hire me to take the blame for a project that was sunk before I got there - of course I didn't know that when I took the job, but it became clear pretty quickly.
I was more careful about taking short term contracts after that.
I'm far from a stickler for process, but this sounds nuts. Are you saying that your users are in-house? And that they often expect you to anticipate their needs? I could see it to some degree if your development team regularly uses the software themselves, but even then it'd be a stretch given that every user has different priorities.
I am developing a database that is an import of other database. And it was used to good effect so far, implement all report that we were told to implement, etc...
And then suddenly, when 20 work days from release, it is discovered that this database is missing some super critical information.
Mind you it's not a bug in the existing code, it's that they expect this data was not part of the previous task, even going so far as explicitly saying it didn't matter. But now it is suddenly missing... :/
The import code keep on getting more difficult to update and database schema change take hours to run sometimes now... :/