The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
I'm testing a feature that allows users to download and connect to a sample database. The process is simple enough...download the zip file, unzip, and connect. It works perfectly in development, and on every user's system that I've tested. The problem is that it is not working at all on my test rig. (Win10 VM)
The zip file is getting hijacked and never makes it to the app folder. The only AV on the test rig is Defender.
What I've tried:
0: disable Defender
1: moved app to another folder
2: verified that file hiding is disabled
3: put in temporary message boxes to verify download location is correct, and to halt execution
4: manually copied the zip file into the app folder while paused at #3 (this worked)
What's weird is that other download/zip/unzip operations with the app work fine...Maybe it doesn't like the name???
One other strange thing is that the unzip routine behaves as if the zip file is there, when it isn't. The end result is no zip file and no unzipped file at all...and worse, no errors.
I'm losing my mind! Maybe it's time to move on to something else for now.
Edit: The issue wound up being that I forgot to set a couple of ftp commands...proxy and passive mode. I guess the download was never actually happening, even though the ftp lib reported success. It was a real waste of a day!
Thank you! I've used this tool before but for some reason didn't think to use it this time. I did use it but it didn't really help in this situation. (it was more a programmer (me) error) But, thanks anyway! Happy Weekend!
It's done in code. The program shows a list of samples and the user selects the one they want to download and connect to. I can manually paste in the zip file (in between message boxes where I have it paused) and it works.
Process Monitor show the file getting created, but it never shows up in the folder. I've tried from a half-dozen folders/locations now with no luck. (thinking it might be a virtualization issue)
Never mind...I got it working. It was a missed ftp setting causing the problem. Apparently, either passive mode or proxy is important on VMs.