The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
Terrorist countries have found a novel way to get our citizens to do their work for them so their people don't need to leave their countries. They will scare and divide the countries from within (as the US is doing), until civil war ensues. Then, these terrorist nations invade and wipe us all out.
And, the sad thing about it, this stench has been build for at least one to two generations. In local neighborhoods, neighbors don't socialize as they used to. In some places, people are suspicious of their neighbors. We need to have more, friendly neighborhood (block) parties and get to know who lives around us and get friendly.
Always a glutton for punishment, I started experimenting with the Julia programming language a few days ago. Here's some of my takeaways (keep in mind I'm a newbie to this language and environment, so these are first impressions).
1) On the language itself -- "Mikee likes it." I like a lot of thing about language itself. After working in C, C++, Pascal, Fortran, and few dozen other languages, I like the simplicity and structure of the language while it maintains a high level of capabilities. C++ is just sometimes too time consuming with its strong variable typing such that many statements become "classAVar = <some_kind_of_cast> classB.getter().toclassA()....".
Julia pretty much infers a variable's type from its usage. (You can have strong typing for a variable if you want.)
Statement structure tends to be simpler and clearer:
no need for statement ending ";", if condition statement(s) end for x in statement(s) end
3) Lots of automatic conversion for strings to integers/floats and vice versa. But you can override them.
4) Lots of capabilities for arrays, tuples, and vectors. Some are a little obtuse and higher on the learning curve.
Now for the bad news:
1) Build time is longer than most languages. Takes a long time to go from edit to test.
2) Primary development environment is REPL with IDE's are based on the Atom editor with Juno plugin. It's OK, but on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it about a 4. Not very efficient compared to MSVC or Qt Creator. Some things are downright cludgey.
3) Documentation is skimpy in both explanations and examples. Learning effort is substantial.
4) GUI support is based on GTK and needs substantial more development.
Bottom line--I like it, but it is early in its life cycle. Just released in 2018, I commend the authors for what they have accomplished. Their intent was to take the best from other languages such as C++, Lisp, Fortran, etc., and to that end, I believe they have accomplished what they set out to do.
It is obvious that they targeted (and they have said as much) the scientific/engineering market place. But, I think it has a lot of potential for general usage.
Being based on LLVM, it also has the capability of running on multiple system types. However, I did have to struggle to get it to run on my AMD K10 CPU due to the use of machine instructions that were not supported on my CPU.
For a language that is on V1.4.0, I give them much credit. I hope they are able to sustain their development efforts and take this to a level similar to MS Visual Studio or QT.
(Please remember: this a first glance on my part and subject to debugging.)
global dirCnt # Declare these variables as global so they
global fileCnt # can be used in the main code.
# Read recursively through the top, counting directories and files, totaling the
# file space used and printing the directory or file name to stdout.
for (root, dirs, files) in walkdir(topDir) # walkdir function returns tuples
for dir in dirs # Count directories i
aDir = joinpath(root, dir) # Create fule path name--same as "root * '/' * dir"
dirCnt += 1
println("Directory # ", dirCnt, " = ", aDir)
for file in files # Count files and total file sizes.
if ((file == ".") || (file == ".."))
if (endswith(file, ".md")) # Select only files with a suffix of "".md"
fileCnt += 1
fn = joinpath(root,file)
sz = stat(fn).size # Get file permissions and file size
totalSize += sz
println("File # ", fileCnt, " = ", fn, ", size = ", sz)
# Main processing in this module
dirCnt = 0
fileCnt = 0
totalSize = 0
subDir = ".julia"
println("Starting directory processing")
println("Directories = ", dirCnt, ", Files = ", fileCnt, ", Total size = ", totalSize)
IMHO, needing to keep your statement confined to a single line gives me more of a 1970's feel, than anything elegant. I don't feel like a lack of semicolons is a help, and it's one of the things I like least about Python.