The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen.
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
Excel has a keyboard shortcut for "copy the value from the cell above this": CTRL+SHIFT+DoubleQuote ANd it works fine - but it's a pain to use if you want "dup, tab, dup, tab, dup, tab" to fill a chunk of a row with the data from the row above and just fill in the bits that changed since yesterday.
So, I google for "Excel change shortcut key" and it tells me to use File...Settings...Customize the ribbon; Keyboard shortcuts.
So I do, and the button isn't there. Maybe that's an earlier version? Try another link. Same thing. And another ... turns out that works in Word, but ... you can't change keyboard shortcuts in Excel. Not at all. The official advice from MS is to "create a macro and assign it to a key".
Consistency. Don't you just love it?
"I have no idea what I did, but I'm taking full credit for it." - ThisOldTony
AntiTwitter: @DalekDave is now a follower!
Going in the other direction: Most MS-Office products have Ctrl-; for today's date - that still works in Excel, but Word has never had it. I had to write a macro in Word 6 (but didn't bother when I upgraded to Word 97).
Ecstasy of Gold is one of the best soundtracks ever written.
A friend of mine once commented that the Once Upon A Time In The West theme was TOO beautiful and that's why she couldn't listen to it.
Truly a musical mastermind.
Anything that is unrelated to elephants is irrelephant Anonymous - The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine Winston Churchill, 1944 - Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. Mark Twain
It's not unusual, Mongolia and China typically have a handful of cases per year. Arizona has a handful of cases of the plague per year too. In Madagascar they have/had bigger problems with the plague, with periodic outbreaks, not just isolated cases.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
Training a telescope on one’s own belly button will only reveal lint. You like that? You go right on staring at it. I prefer looking at galaxies.
-- Sarah Hoyt
I'm afraid it's only going to get worse...
Even with the many extra deaths of COVID-19 the world population is still growing.
We're running out of resources, animals are going extinct, we're polluting and destroying the environment, people are radicalizing...
At this point I can't really see this ending well.
I just hope I won't live to see the end of the world, but I'm not even sure of that anymore