The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen.
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
Don't knock work-related dreams! Kekule supposedly realised that Benzene had its structure in a dream.
Benzene (C6H6) was assumed to have a structure of 6 carbon atoms in a row, with 6 hydrogen atoms. It should have been extremely active, because it has 14 valence electrons, but only 6 of them are bound. Kekule fell asleep on a carriage, and dreamed that the carbon atoms arranged themselves in a circle. This, of course, has properties that differ from those of a line of carbon atoms, It later turned out that his intuition was correct.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-- 6079 Smith W.
"the debugger doesn't tell me anything because this code compiles just fine" - random QA comment
"Facebook is where you tell lies to your friends. Twitter is where you tell the truth to strangers." - chriselst
"I don't drink any more... then again, I don't drink any less." - Mike Mullikins uncle
We had a hardware engineer with a penchant for cute acronyms. One board was named PIGLET, which was something like Printhead Inkjet Generator Link Electrical Transmitter, or something like that. This board was succeeded by the Selectable Width Fiber Transmitter, or SWiFT board.
A while back we detected a problem in the power-on startup logic on the SWiFT board. The firmware load would occasionally fail on a cold start (boot from power-up) but always succeeded on a subsequent warm start (Windows restart). We're in the middle of redesigning the hardware and didn't want to deal with a driver update, so I wrote a little program that runs at boot time. If it detects the firmware load failure, it issues a Windows restart.
"I have no idea what I did, but I'm taking full credit for it." - ThisOldTony
"Common sense is so rare these days, it should be classified as a super power" - Random T-shirt
AntiTwitter: @DalekDave is now a follower!