The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
Mastering something leads to it being boring, IMO. I mean, not entirely. I can still love something but not have the thrill of the challenge anymore. I feel that way with C#. I know the CLI and CLR pretty well. I know the language to the point where it feels like a second skin, which is maybe creepy, I guess. With my background in Win32 and C I can p/invoke anything I can't do with the above, and there's nothing left I'm intimidated by. All that's left is to teach.
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. It's just how it feels to me.
A language is to a programmer like a wrench is to an auto mechanic or a hammer is to a carpenter. Why would you want the very tool that is helping you to solve a problem (or the mechanic to repair a car, or the carpenter build a house) be the challenge? That's absurd.
"One man's wage rise is another man's price increase." - Harold Wilson
"Fireproof doesn't mean the fire will never come. It means when the fire comes that you will be able to withstand it." - Michael Simmons
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." - James D. Miles
I'm sure that sentiment is what keeps (most of) us going. If there is no challenge, no intellectual pursuit, no learning something new, no testing different ideas (even if they turn out to be awful), then we don't grow and will just atrophy. Where would be the excitement if we just churned out the same old stuff day in, day out? We need to advance ourselves and grow. Maybe 99% of what we discover we'll never use again, but even that is expansion of our world view; and the other 1% is the gold nuggets that make it exciting and spur us to carry on.
Having no box to think outside of, I get to enjoy it in three of the four ways one could enjoy it.
- The challenge of learning a knew language (competently)
- The challenge of solving a problem (independently of the language question).
- The challenge of solving a problem with the constraint of a particular language (or set of them)
- the fourth option in this truth-table view of it, the not learning a language to not solve a problem.
By the way - if you can somehow convolute the last of these into a way to get your work done, you will have truly become 'the Master[^]'.
Mastering something leads to it being boring, IMO. I mean, not entirely. I can still love something but not have the thrill of the challenge anymore.
Perhaps you can demonstrate your mastery by turning some of your massive code-clusters published here ... as inscrutable as cuneiform tablets ... into usable tools ? Perhaps revisit these ziggurats your psyche has conjured on the darkling plane ...
honey the codewitch wrote:
All that's left is to teach.
I look forward to learning from you !
The thrill of knowing your mortal peers found your work useful could be, imho, as electric as knowing your genius is marvelled at
«One day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have christened reality is an even greater illusion than the world of dreams.» Salvador Dali
Fridge? Ha! If we wanted something kept cool, it was put on the kitchen outside windowsill. (During the summer, we didn't buy stuff that needed to be kept cool; milk was delivered in the morning and was warm by lunchtime.) We did have a fridge, but it didn't work so we just used it as a cupboard. So: "a fridge? You were lucky; there were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road."
Last Visit: 11-Aug-20 12:40 Last Update: 11-Aug-20 12:40