The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
I am giving Ether mining a spin. Started like yesterday.
Everyone advises against CPU mining, but I see it as a learning experience, and fun. My 12 3.2GHz cores are hungry for food. On all fora ppl say that the Go implementation is a piece of Elephant. But on github there is zero activity on the C++ implementation and a lot on the Go one...
And if you have Ether mining experience I am happy to hear it.
Today, I actually decided to revisit the beans after a break of 3 years.......don't know why, but I just did.
And had absolutely no joy getting them to work with either Windows10, IOS or Android to update the Day 1 firmware to the latest, using the standard BeanLoaders. I remembered when I first played with these many years back that I had connected to them using a TinyUSB, but couldn't remember how or any of the commands. This was necessary because the Dev team didn't have anything other than IOS support at the time.
Worse is when I google how to do something and one of the top hits is my own article!
I routinely check my IIS FTP server logs, and this morning found an interesting hacking attempt. When I tried a reverse IP lookup, it returns nothing. This is the first time I've not been able to get information from a reverse lookup...after trying 4 different services. Edit: Thanks to Richard...tracert shows it to be Russian.
When I enter the IP address into the browser, I get an Ubuntu web server default page.
Anyhow, the dimwit (judging from the timings, it was a human) failed to guess the password for the Administrator account which by the way is admin. (it's just a read-only ftp account anyway)
If only I could modify the 530 response message to something a little more biting.
Thanks Richard! tracert did the trick...it appears to originate in Russia.
Alarmingly, further digging revealed that this hacker (at least this particular IP address) had been hitting my server almost daily for over three weeks. One possibly telling detail is that the early attempts were against an email username, the rest were mostly against the domain name.
I've denied access based on that IP address as a short term fix...the server is due for migration to Server 2016 later this month (currently 2008r2) so hopefully will come with better dynamic blocking features. My deny list is rather large as I wrote a script a long time ago to deny the entire country of China!