The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
Training a telescope on one’s own belly button will only reveal lint. You like that? You go right on staring at it. I prefer looking at galaxies.
-- Sarah Hoyt
after many otherwise intelligent sounding suggestions that achieved nothing the nice folks at Technet said the only solution was to low level format my hard disk then reinstall my signature. Sadly, this still didn't fix the issue!
I had hoped you would have spayed away from that one.
"the debugger doesn't tell me anything because this code compiles just fine" - random QA comment
"Facebook is where you tell lies to your friends. Twitter is where you tell the truth to strangers." - chriselst
"I don't drink any more... then again, I don't drink any less." - Mike Mullikins uncle
So for I don't know, a week? I've been working on optimizing a finite automota powerset construction algorithm to work with unicode ranges without breaking it.
The "without breaking it" bit has me in fits. I've tried two different ways of tackling it on my own, and that worked until it didn't at which point I ripped a technique off from another library, and that I thought worked, again, until it didn't.
So now I'm just gutting the engine out of GPLEX and using that as the heart of Rolex.
Screw it. I know a wall when I hit one.
Now I just have to get the Gplex code torn down, retooled and slangified. No small feat. Harder in fact then if i had just gotten the above working.
It's not that simple though. I do have a working version. It takes hours to generate the tables once you introduce unicode ranges.
And refactoring it isn't really the solution, since it's an algorithm change that is in order in order to fix that, which means the code has to work different, not simply be organized different, if that makes sense.
The Right(TM) way in this case refers to the correct implementation of the algorithm. There is one, and its derivatives. I just don't know how to find it.
In code, almost working is the same as not working.
But I agree with others, get it working first and then optimize. Whenever I have tried to do both at the same time I have always run into nasty troubles.
Government can give you nothing but what it takes from somebody else. A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you've got, including your freedom.-Ezra Taft Benson
You must accept 1 of 2 basic premises: Either we are alone in the universe or we are not alone. Either way, the implications are staggering!-Wernher von Braun