In this WCF tutorial, we will see the new and important features introduced in different versions of Windows Communication Foundation starting from WCF 3.5, 4.0 to WCF 4.5.
What's New in WCF v3.5
- WCF support for REST Style Services by introducing Web programming model using rich features of HTTP instead of just a transport.
- In order to build Workflow Services, WCF 3.5 supports integration with WF (Windows Workflow Foundation).
- Using framework 3.5, now we can build AJAX-enabled WCF Services.
- It's possible to build services using WCF 3.5 that can be easily persisted and reloaded again. Such services are called Durable Services.
- To make WCF Services Interoperable, v3.5 is aligned with standards like WS-Trust, WS-SecurityPolicy, Web Service Reliable Messaging and Web Service Atomic Transaction, etc.
- In order to process Syndication feeds, WCF now supports a strongly typed object model.
- For applications those are configured with a trust level other than Full are called Partial Trust Applications. Such Partial trust applications can use limited features of WCF now.
Later with WCF v3.5 SP1, more features were introduced:
- Scalability in web-hosted applications
- Improvements with
- For Partial Trust application scenarios, further improved debugging support
- Using ADO.NET Entity Framework entities in WCF Contracts
What's New in WCF v4.0
If we look into the new WCF 4.0 features, we can easily say that it's developer oriented. A number of new features that improve the productivity of a WCF developer.
- WCF Configuration has been simplified by introducing default endpoints, binding and behavior configuration. Now it's not necessary to provide an endpoint while hosting a WCF service, it will be created automatically. And we can have configuration free services as well.
- REST Improvements like Help page and declarative HTTP caching.
- Discovery Alignment with standard like WS-Discovery protocol. A client can dynamically identify the service if a service endpoint address is changing.
- Routing A configurable routing service is introduced providing features like content-based routing, protocol bridging and error handling previously included with Dublin.
- Workflow v4.0 further enhances support for integrating WCF with WF. Now workflow service can be hosted from .xamlx file without .svc file.
Hopefully, this post provides details clearly about what's released in WCF 3.5 and WCF 4.0. For what's new released in WCF 4.5, please follow the below link.
Other Helpful WCF Tutorials