Click here to Skip to main content
15,947,785 members
Please Sign up or sign in to vote.
0.00/5 (No votes)
See more:
Okay OriginalGriff, RSVP

I have written a C# front-end program, in which calls a bunch of DLL "C" functions(API's). and the communications between the two parts has been great.
But recently, I was working on the program and must have done something wrong, and now I can't call a DLL function period.

So now, every time I try to run the this program, I get the following errors:
* Exception thrown: 'System.BadImageFormatException' in textlib.exe
* An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
It seems like when I attempt to call a DLL function(API) from within the C# program, the following error/exception(s) (above) surfaces.

I sure could use some help OriginalGriff

What have you tried? is is in the screen below. Again Thanks.

What I have tried:

Okay OriginalGriff, RSVP

SOME NEEDED EXAMPLES, PLEASE;

Here in my C# program,(below)are some examples of "C#"'s import DLL function call declarations,
referencing an external DLL file to be used, with referenced API calls.

C#
*** In the C# sharp environment:
 [DllImport("textlibrary.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
             public static extern int MM_MAXNUMBEROFTEXTFORMATS(ref int numfmts);

 [DllImport("textlibrary.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)] 
             public static extern int MM_ISVDATE(StringBuilder bufferdate);  

 [DllImport("textlibrary.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)] public static extern 
       int MM_APPSTESTSRUN(StringBuilder testrundate, int ifmtid, int idpassval, ref int iostat);
 
 DllImport("kernel32.dll")] static extern uint GetSystemDirectory(
             [Out] StringBuilder lpBuffer, uint uSize);

 [DllImport("Advapi32.dll")] public static extern bool GetUserName
             (StringBuilder lpBuffer, ref int nSize);

 [DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError = true, CharSet = CharSet.Auto)] public static extern uint 
            GetWindowModuleFileName(IntPtr hwnd, StringBuilder lpszFileName, uint cchFileNameMax);

*** In the "C" DLL environment:
/////              and "C" function declarations. 
#include <time.h>
//// https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/walkthrough-creating-and-using-a-dynamic-link-library-cpp?view=msvc-170
#pragma once   //// I'm using implicit linking, .lib file - linker file input. 
#ifdef TEXTLIBRARY_EXPORTS
#define TEXTLIBRARY_API __declspec(dllexport)
#else
#define TEXTLIBRARY __declspec(dllimport)
#endif
extern "C" {  //// this declaration hopefully should make each routine names are managled free. 
    TEXTLIBRARY_API int MM_JDECYYDDDxOperation(int pdopcode, char* passdjdedate8, 
                     char* rtnhumandate, int* iostatx);
    TEXTLIBRARY_API int MM_AXDYs(char* testitem, int addnumdays, int* irtnerrval);
    TEXTLIBRARY_API int MM_TheISONotationforms(char* xpdtheccyyform11, int  imee, int* iostatzs1);
    TEXTLIBRARY_API int MM_ListOutAllUserNames(char* wfilename260, int* filesw, int* ierrsw) ;

  }  


*----------------*
Now for the question(s), please...
I have a program that consists of two parts(a C# program(the front end) and a DLL File [with a
bunch of DLL function(APIs)) calls] that worked quite well together for quite a while, but
has since recently stopped and no more communications were achieved. I cannot figure out
why/how/what it has stopped and to understand why. It seems like I may have done
something, but I don't remember doing it and why. I've noticed some of the forms that have
worked before stopped, have a few errors.
So now, every time I try to run the this program, I get the following errors:
* Exception thrown: 'System.BadImageFormatException' in textlib.exe
* An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
It seems like when I attempt to call a DLL function(API) from within the C# program, the
following error/exception(s) (above) surfaces.
So how can I get these two entities to communicate with each other again? Successfully?

I've checked out most of your Site's error-questions and solutions relating to this problem,
and it seems like my programs are in sync and are following the same rules as given in the
solutions provided. The C# program and the dll file, each compiles successfully, and the
IDE knows where the DLL file is located and shows it. It seems like the C# program would
run ok by itself, without calling any of the DLL functions(APIs).

I can use these "C" dll file function(APIs) calls in other "C" programs and they work ok.
But I need these " 'C' dll file function(APIs) calls" to be used in my C# program also.

Could someone or ones help me out, in finding what is going on and what I did wrong and then
achieve successful communication between these two parts. Cause right now, I'm at a
stand-still. How can I "link" a DLL to a C-sharp program or am I doing it right?

But anyrate, Thanks for any help.
Posted
Updated 20-Nov-23 7:14am
v2

1 solution

Typically, "BadImageFormatException" means you're trying to mix 32- and 64-bit code in the same process. You're either trying to use 64-bit .DLL's in your app that's running as 32-bit, or you're trying to use 32-bit .DLL's in a 64-bit app. You can't do either.

If your .DLL's are all 32-bit, go into your C# project properties, Build tab, and change the Platform Target type to x86.
 
Share this answer
 
Comments
KarstenK 20-Nov-23 3:14am    
often that property isnt set at all. No problem as long as C# only in the app, but crashes are coming when going into native languages.
Andre Oosthuizen 20-Nov-23 13:16pm    
My +5 for standing in for Paul. :) AND short and sweet solution...

This content, along with any associated source code and files, is licensed under The Code Project Open License (CPOL)



CodeProject, 20 Bay Street, 11th Floor Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2N8 +1 (416) 849-8900